Some people own a gun right now, while others are looking for one to buy. One thing is sure, during a crisis or in a society where rules no longer apply you will not survive without a firearm. You will need to be able and take care of yourself and your loved ones, to be prepared for whatever comes. Maybe you will need a gun to hunt for food or perhaps you have to be your best bodyguard, and this means you will need these guns in order to survive. Here are the guns every prepper should own.
Your guns will be your tools and as with every tool you have to make the right choice based on the needs and of course, based on your budget. When it comes to guns every prepper should own, you should choose carefully. The recommendations provided should cover any needs, even if you are on a limited budget.
Before you rush out and purchase your first gun, you will need to learn about gun safety. The gun is not a toy, is not a revenge tool, and most certainly is not an extension of your masculinity that you can flaunt around. You can take a local gun safety class and your firearms vendor can point you in the right direction. He could recommend someone if they don’t organize a class themselves. Even more, make sure you are able to keep your firearms in a gun safe to avoid accidents. I recommend finding the best gun safe under 1000 since it will not heavily impact your budget if you spend less than $1000 on a gun safe.
Here are the basic rules of firearms safety:
- Every gun should be treated as it is loaded. Even if it is not, it’s better to start with this assumption in order to avoid possible accidents
- Your finger should be off the trigger and out of the trigger guard until you’ve taken your target in sight and you are ready to fire. An accidental discharge can occur when handling the weapon if you don’t follow this rule.
- Point the muzzle at your target when you’re ready to shoot. Never point it at something or someone unless you’re not willing to obliterate the mark.
- You have to be sure of your surroundings. Most importantly, you have to be sure of your target and what is behind it.
- Always have a safe place to keep your firearms, out of children’s reach. You need to get a gun safe that is robust and quickly accessible and reliable, check out this selection of best gun safes under $1500 for an idea
The reasons you need more than one gun can vary from person to person. You might need it for self-defense, for hunting, as a show of force to discourage any home invaders, or even for rodent control. You won’t find a gun that does all of that just like you won’t find a tool that does all the work. Why would you hammer a nail with a screwdriver when you can buy a hammer?
Based on the research I’ve conducted, I’ve concluded that there are 5 types of guns every prepper should own.
All this based on the use made for every gun, as follows:
1. You will need a small, highly concealable handgun for everyday carrying. It will be required for when it’s inappropriate to carry your primary handgun of choice. It is a backup gun that no one should know about it and it’s imperative that it stays that way. Your coworkers might not like the idea of you carrying a gun, regardless of the reason. This is the type of gun that you can rely on, in any situation. It will not show and you will be the only one knowing about it.
2. For small game and pest control or even as an all-around survival gun you will need a .22 rifle. This is an economical rifle since the ammo for this type of gun is cheap and makes stockpiling ammunition easier and less expensive for the prepper. It is also easier to handle and less intimidating for novice shooters (including youngsters).
3. To fight your way out of a nasty situation and to reach the gun safe where you keep your rifle you will need a reliable handgun. A handgun that packs a deadly punch and one that you can maneuver without difficulty. It should be your weapon of choice for day to day activity when it’s appropriate to carry a handgun.
Suggested article: Things To Check Before Buying A Used Firearm
4. A shotgun is what you need for home defense and hunting. Just the sound of cocking your shotgun will make any home invader think twice about their actions. Not to mention that shotguns have another advantage. The shot pellets spread upon leaving the barrel and the power of the burning charge is divided among the pellets. This makes it practical for hunting birds but also for close-quarters combat weapon. You don’t necessarily have to be a good aim with a shotgun. However, you shouldn’t put all your trust in luck and shotgun spread.
5. A “War” semi-automatic rifle is what you need for hunting large game, gunfighting, or even as a visible show of force, to discourage your enemies when the situation calls for it. This is the type of gun that wreaks havoc and makes people rethink their actions, providing you a more significant advantage.
Once you’ve done your homework and you have decided from where you should buy your weapons. Here are the guns every prepper should own recommended based on a limited budget.
5 Guns Every Prepper Should Own
The Ruger LCP – A gun that you can easily conceal
This is amongst the most popular firearm selling today. It is especially favored by the ladies as it can comfortably fit in their purses. It is a light handgun with a weight of only 10 ounces and its size of 5.2 inch makes it easy to hide. Ruger LCP carries six rounds of .380 ACP in a magazine with one round in the barrel. It is considered a functional capacity for a self-defense situation in which you cannot fire more than a few shots due to the distance and the speed of the combat.
Nonetheless, this is viewed as a compromise by some. Both the front and rear sights are contoured close to the slide frame to allow for a quick draw while still providing an adequate sight picture. The grip is long enough for most shooters to wrap two full fingers around the grip in addition to the trigger finger. It might be one of the best weapons for self-defense. It was specially designed with concealed and carry in mind and is affordable protection for anyone. When it comes to CC, this is one of the guns every prepper should own.
The Ruger 10/22 – The prepper’s rifle
If you want to develop excellent marksmanship and not spend a lot of money on the rifle itself or the rounds of ammunition, then the Ruger 10/22 is the rifle for you. It is a semi-automatic rimfire rifle that chambers .22 caliber long rifle ammunition (.22LR). It is one of the most commonly used and widely available ammo in the world. This is a rifle very popular amongst small game hunters due to its accuracy, ease of use, and lightweight.
For the standard rifle, you will find a ten-round rotary magazine. However, there are also rotary magazines with only five rounds, designed by Ruger for the states that have magazine restrictions. It is a versatile rifle that can be easily customized. You won’t find anything else on the market that has so many options regarding accessories and customization. The Ruger 10/22 comes in six basic models and are available in hardwood, laminated wood, or synthetic stocks. It is one of the guns every prepper should own.
There is a theory that states the accuracy can be affected by the quality of the barrel, but I found out the user to be the problem rather than the rifle itself. Some people are complaining that they are not grouping shots like they used to even though they didn’t change anything and the rifle is the same. If you clamp the rifle in the best shooting rest and it shoots terribly, consider a new barrel. If it shoots fine then the problem is you, and you will need to determine how to fix that.
You may also want to get a suitable deer hunting scope for your Ruger, something light, sturdy and accurate is a must.
I can honestly say that this is a quality .22 caliber rifle and is an excellent choice as your first gun purchase since you may customize it as you like due to the aftermarket parts available out there.
The Glock 19 – An Everyday Guard Dog
Austrians know their way around guns and this semi-automatic handgun is the proof. This polymer-coated wonder is a durable weapon designed to resist shocks, caustic liquids, and high or low temperatures. You don’t need rocket science when you have to disassemble the Glock 19.
It can be taken apart in five major parts: the slide, the recoil spring assembly, the barrel, the frame, and the magazine.
You can leave it like that and hide one of the significant parts in a different location. This will prevent anyone (especially children and youngsters) from using it. It is advertised by the Austrian company as a “Safe Pistol” due to its three safety mechanism that protects the gun from discharging accidentally.
The Glock 19 is a compact handgun easy to handle even by beginners. The 9mm round, it’s easy to control and is a very popular round, making it easy to stockpile. The size of this handgun makes it easy to conceal and the weight doesn’t pose a problem.
It is a weapon approved by the United States military and law enforcement agencies (including in many other countries, outside the US) and most Americans own one. It might be the obvious choice for the urban prepper when it comes to choosing a primary handgun. After getting mine, I believe that is one of the guns every prepper should own.
The Remington 870 – A nightmare for every home invader
Owning a pump action 12 gauge shotgun is a statement for every prepper when it comes to home defense and survival. No other gun is quite versatile as the shotgun. It is considered a “scattergun” and it does its job well, keeping you and your loved ones safe. It is one of the guns every prepper should own.
The shotgun can be single-barreled, double-barreled or a combination of the two. The size of these guns can range from very small to very large. They have a barrel diameter ranging from .22 inch to 2 inches. The role of this weapon change depending on the type of ammunition (shells) being used.
The shotgun shell contains, besides the gunpowder, pellets, balls or solid slugs. The shot spreads after leaving the gun, forming a pattern of shot. Hitting a target does not require perfect aim at farther distances. The recoil of the shotgun is directly related to the weight of the shot with buckshot and slugs delivering the highest amount of recoil.
The Remington 870 shotgun is one of the most popular home defense shotguns today. It still holds the record for the best-selling shotgun in history. It is a 12 gauge, pump-action gun that requires the user to grip the pump and pull the shell into firing position with a quick pull back on the pump.
Related reading: Choosing the best survival gun for your prepping plans
A modular version of the Remington 870 is available on the market. The MCS (Modular Combat Shotgun) allows the user to customize the barrels, magazine, and stocks depending on the needs. Due to the low round capacity and the time needed to reload your shotgun, it’s recommended to keep additional ammunition on the stock, providing you with an advantage in a difficult situation. This is a weapon used for riot control due to its incredible stopping power. It’s the best choice for every prepper when it comes to home defense.
The AR-15 – A solution for every situation
The AR-15 .223/5.56 caliber rifle is a highly versatile rifle that can satisfy any prepper. It’s a rifle that can be customized to chamber calibers other than the .223/5.56. It is capable of handling several types of stocks, sights, and other accessories. The AR-15 is a semi-automatic rifle and the civilian rifle is different from the M16 military rifle.
Although it looks somehow identical on the outside. It is an all-purpose weapon that will serve in any situation, either if is home defense or self-preservation during a crisis. The rifle’s modular design makes part conversion and maintenance and repair easy. Most AR-15s manufactured for civilian use are heavy barrel models. However, it is also available in a shorter carbine length and can have an adjustable length stock.
Traditionally, the AR-15 chambers the .223/5.56 caliber ammunition. This is an accurate, lightweight, high velocity round. It is easy and quick to change the receiver to allow the rifle to chamber many different rounds. Rounds such as the .45 ACP and the .50 Beowulf.
The AR-15 and the aftermarket parts might be illegal in some states. Even more, the right to own such a rifle may vary significantly from one state to another. The accuracy, dependability, and ease of operation of this rifle make it an ideal choice for the preppers. If the law from your state allows it, you should get your hands on it. Omaha Outdoors has an extensive selection of AR 15 parts and accessories.
It is one of the guns every prepper should own.
Concluding on the guns every prepper should own
You may not like the idea of having to defend your home when SHTF, but the reality may surprise you. If it comes to that and you need to fight for your life, these are the guns every prepper should own. They are reliable, they will not cost you a fortune and you can still get your hand on them. Remember to keep your head in the game and get what you need.
After many years of research and training, I’ve decided that these are the ones for me. In my opinion, these are the guns every prepper should own. If you don’t have them already, you should consider adding them to your armory.
Stay Safe and God Bless!